The suspension of public Masses and the limiting of public gatherings has helped slow the spread of COVID-19, but it also has resulted in financial and business challenges for our Church. Our Budget is forecasting a reduction in revenue of about $240,000 in the next fiscal year beginning July 1, 2020 as well as a significant impact to its current year operating budget.
We have made the difficult decision to reduce overall spending in the current and upcoming fiscal year by reducing hours of our staff and restructuring groups and ministries activities and expenses. Our intention is to place a more strategic focus on directly supporting discipleship and evangelization efforts at the parish level.
The following measures have been implemented in an effort to reduce costs:
- A reduction in hours of 7 people.
- Priest benefits have been reduced by 40%. (Food, cellphone, mileage, ongoing education, formation)
- Furlough days will be implemented in the current budget year with more planned in the upcoming 2021 fiscal year budget.
- Our Religious Education Director as well as Our youth and Family life coordinator have cut off their salaries 100%
- We will minimize utilities like A/C during weekdays, lights and electricity.
- Travel is restricted to only essential business with approval.
- Our weekly bulletin publication has been reduce 60% (Only 50 copies in English and 40 in Spanish) St. Mary’s Catholic Church will continue to Share the Good News of Jesus Christ through social media, Flock note, and parish websites.
- Fundraising events and activities will be implemented during the next fiscal year. Further information will be updated and forwarded.
These decisions are difficult and were implemented after much prayer and discernment. We are grateful for the work, sacrifices and friendships of our brothers and sisters in Christ, and we ask the community to join us in praying for our parish community. We must rely on the Lord and His providential care while responding to the call to advance the mission of the Church; the parish office will continue to extend essential services and support to our parishioners by scheduling appointments via phone call (979) 625 5125 so we can streamline hours of operation.
Also let me tell you that our Parish will continue to make strategic decisions to meet the growing need of serving a Catholic population that is made up of diversity; all groups will develop and enhance their cultural understanding and sensitivity to the people we serve by offering any pastoral support.
Trusting in our Good Lord I bless you all,
Fr. Gerardo Garcia
Donations can be sent to:
St. Mary Catholic Church
P.O. BOX 191
Rifle, CO 81650
Or can be done online at:
Select Parish: Saint Mary-Rifle